Go to main content of the website
1 866-492-5533Book now

Phare de Cap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse, National Historic Site

Monument

The presence of many wild roses on the cape, years ago, explains the origin of place’s name. An abundance of rose bushes still subsist in the village and along the natural accesses, letting their uniquely perfumed and spicy aromas escape, all summer long.

Erected in 1858, Cap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse is one of the tall beacons built by the Canadian Coast Guard. Canada’s tallest lighthouse, it soars 34.1 metres (112 feet) into the air. With white marble walls over 2.1 metres (7 feet) thick at the base and tapering to 0.9 metres (3 feet) at the top of the tower, it stands on a foundation rooted 2.4 metres (8 feet) deep in the soil. Its powerful light, perched 41.4 metres (136 feet) above the sea, has guided ships without fail since the lighthouse was built. It was classified a historical monument in 1977.

It is also from this lighthouse that an officer noticed in 1759; Wolfe’s fleet, and rushed to immediately send a courier towards Quebec.

This place, witness of an impressive amount of shipwrecks, one of which was the famous Carrick’s and which then gave birth to Cap-des-Rosiers’ largest ancestral descendants, is the doorway to Forillon Park’s entrance.

Come and climb to the top, just across the street of the Motel du Haut Phare.

Distance : 150m
Address:
2448 BOULEVARD DE GRANDE GREVE
GASPÉ QC G4X 6L7
CANADA